The EMEA Finance team aims to be a strategic partner and advisor in achieving Silicon Valley Bank’s overall mission to increase our clients probability of success, supporting all of the Management information (“MI”), business analysis, financial reporting, Financial Control, Treasury and Tax activity for the EMEA division of SVB. This will be done by:
• Delivering insights to support decision making, drive performance and set strategy and;
• Establishing a strong control environment to meet our obligations, protect our business and deliver smart, safe growth.
Due to the exceptional growth experienced, Silicon Valley Bank is going through the process of creating a subsidiary to continue our UK activities. We are therefore looking to hire a talented Controller with the breadth and depth of experience operating in a UK subsidiary and track record of implementing and overseeing a strong accounting and control function.
The role will report to the CFO of the EMEA business and UK subsidiary and Global Chief Accounting Officer, and have responsibility and oversight for the accounting and control activity within the region, including Tax and regulatory reporting. This includes the current UK branch and future UK subsidiary, a German branch and other smaller entities as well as supporting our ambitious expansion plans within Europe. We intend to leverage the global tools, teams, processes and systems as much as possible and the role holder will play a leadership role in both the Global Accounting and Regional Finance teams.
There is a key role to play in the subsidiary application, planning and build process, working with global and regional colleagues to put the appropriate tools, processes and controls in place to support the requirements of an expanded business and enhanced accounting and control requirements, including establishing a board audit committee, IRFS reporting and separate audit.
The successful candidate will oversee and / or play a key role in:
• Financial Control & Governance - Ensure proper financial management controls and governance are embedded across the business to drive financial integrity. This will include oversight of loan, deposit and fee booking and accounting, investment and treasury activity and liasing with the SOX team, internal audit and external auditors in relation to second and third line of defence testing.
• Accounting - Define and own local IFRS accounting to ensure financial integrity and timely close and filings, with the support of the Corporate Accounting team. This includes overseeing accounting operations, close and associated controls and ledger maintenance and integrity. Lead the local process and approvals around loan loss accounting, support the global team on close and consolidation, technical accounting support for new structures, products or projects
• Entity management reporting - Coordinate and consolidate monthly and quarterly financial performance reporting and presentations, including variance analysis to support the close for senior management, the board and regulators (as required).
• External regulatory reporting - Overseeing, reviewing and leading the team that undertake regulatory reporting.
• Statutory Reporting and Audit - Managing the production of the financial accounts and audit process and sign off
• Tax management and compliance - Local oversight of and management responsibility for tax activity in the region which, will be delivered through local and global tax professionals.
• Finance Change - Contribute to and drive local implementation of the global Finance Transformation effort covering systems and tools, processes, structure and people, continually looking for opportunities to enhance efficiency, effectiveness and control. Also act as local finance SME for change projects
• Continuous Professional Development - Stay abreast of local and global accounting and compliance developments and best practice and educate the team and business on these
• Attract, retain and grow finance talent - Coach and mentor colleagues to support them on their career journey.
The individual will directly lead a small team of finance professionals based in the UK and India and be reliant upon and provide direction and leadership to US and India based Corporate teams to meet EMEA accounting, control, reporting and tax requirements. This will mean building strong relationships with individuals at a variety of levels and across multiple teams and time-zones in a matrix management structure.
• Proven Financial Controller who has played a leadership role within a bank subsidiary and has knowledge and experience across all of the accounting and control disciplines
• Experienced and skilled at managing external audits and working with audit committees
• Strong technical knowledge of IFRS accounting, ideally US GAAP and the UK financial services regulatory requirements
• Strong commercial leadership and people management skills
• Curious with exceptional analytical and technical skills, capable of building and running a world class Accounting and Controllership function spread across multiple locations
• A good level of understanding of the UK commercial banking environment and product set and an ability to quickly gain a thorough knowledge of SVB’s bank operations and products
• Brilliant communication skills with an ability to build strong relationships, influence, engage and explain the complex and simple to both senior and junior colleagues within the organization
• Resourceful, collaborative and able to lead and support multiple projects across a number of areas in a fast paced environment
• Audit experience and Chartered Accountancy qualification or equivalent education
• Passionate about continuing to learn and improve