HSBC Life is a key strategic growth business for HSBC and operates across Asia, Europe, and the Americas
Head of Financial Control, Group Insurance - London
Some careers open more doors than others.
If you're looking for a career where you will be respected as an individual and valued for the contributions you make, join HSBC and discover how diversity drives our success. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
HSBC Life is a key strategic growth business for HSBC and operates across Asia, Europe, and the Americas. The role holder will lead the financial control function for the business, and will also play a pivotal role in the implementation of IFRS 17, the new Insurance accounting standard which will have a significant impact across both Finance and the business.
- The Head of Financial Control, Group Insurance, manages a small dedicated Group team as well providing indirect management and oversight of the Financial Control teams within the Group's Insurance manufacturing entities.
- It incorporates second line of defence oversight of country reporting processes, driving consistency and best practice, and generating actionable recommendations to ensure a first class reporting process.
- The role holder will partner and also challenge local finance teams and the business, providing strong financial leadership and controllership.
- Ensures the high quality internal reporting by HSBC businesses, the central consolidation of those results, and the design and execution of the Group external reporting of Insurance results.
- Oversee the transformation of the function including simplifying and streamlining existing processes and sharing best practice across the function.
- Oversee the accounting policy, disclosure, and controls implementation of IFRS 17. IFRS 17 is a flagship project which will fundamentally change the accounting and business processes applied by HSBC's Insurance business and represents the most significant accounting change programme currently being implemented across the HSBC Group.
- The project is jointly sponsored by Financial, Actuarial, Risk and COO business areas working collaboratively together to deliver against a complex and demanding transformation programme. This role holder will represent financial control within the project and will support and manage a talented group of subject matter experts, focused on delivering the ledgers, controls, and processes necessary for ensuring a successful implementation.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team, with a strong focus on delivery, across multiple geographies.
- Significant experience managing the implementation of complex transformation projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience of preparation of reports, analysis, commentary and technical accounting opinions on financial reporting matters suitable for presentation at senior management and board level
- Good experience of monitoring and improving processes
- Ability to take the initiative and undertake and drive tasks forward with minimum supervision
- Strong analytical and IT skills
- Experience of working with external and internal stakeholders on financial reporting matters
- Chartered Accountant or similar professional qualification preferred
- There is a large element of ad hoc requirements within this role - you will need evidence that you are able to work under pressure and build excellent stakeholder relationships whilst carrying out your core responsibilities. A strong team work ethic is critical.
For further details and application information please visit our careers site, searching under reference number 0000D76I