United Bank for Africa UK Limited (‘UBA UK”) is a subsidiary of a leading Pan African Bank headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria with a global footprint. Established in1949, UBA Plc has presence in twenty (20) sub-Saharan African countries, the UK, France, and USA. At UBA UK we believe in great outcomes for our customers. We like to empower our teams to deliver the Bank’s strategic objectives. Our people are passionate about Africa and our business.
We are seeking a Head of Legal and Company Secretary to join the UBA UK, London team, in a standalone role within the CEO Office.
As the Head of Legal and Company Secretary, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Identifying, interpreting, and advising on UK Financial services legislation, regulations, and obligations
- Advising on governance and corporate law matters
- Identifying and advising on legal risks related to new products and or business activities
- Drafting, reviewing, and interpreting legal and compliance policies and procedures. Acting as custodian of the Bank’s policies
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating service contracts and agreements
- Full Board and Committee meeting support, including preparation of minutes and agenda planning
- Ensuring the Bank’s UK Companies Act fillings are completed accurately and on time
- Managing the administration of the appointment and retirement of Directors
- Maintaining the Bank’s statutory registers
- In-depth knowledge and experience of Legal Function in a financial service firm together with understanding of FS regulatory and compliance related matters
- Experience in a Company Secretariat role and executing these duties effectively
- Banking/financial services experience, particularly in a UK-based foreign-owned Institution.
- Stakeholder management skills; confidence dealing with senior management and board directors.
- Ability to influence and guide management; providing clear advice to ensure suitable decisions are made.
- Complying with FCA and PRA conduct rules as set out in your contract of employment
Key Performance Indicators:
- Review of contracts and other legal documents in a timely manner
- Quality advice to stakeholders on aspects of the law relating to UBA UK’s business
Per Regulators Conduct Rules:
- Acts with Integrity, due skill, care and diligence.
- Is open and cooperative with the Regulators.
- Pays due regard to customers interests and treats them fairly.
- Observes market conduct standards.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to add value and carve out their own role.