This role will support the production of investment risk reports for the pension fund as a whole, individual portfolios/mandates and providing analysis to help stakeholders on decision making.
- Assist with day-to-day production of risk analysis and reports across investment risk spectrum and multi-assets.
- provide reasoning and narratives on changes of risk.
- Provide analytical support for ad-hoc requests internally from PAIR and externally across USS.
- Contribute to delivery of projects from end-to-end, including planning, gathering requirements and testing.
- Assist with the implementation & enhancement of automated reporting within the PAIR team.
Managing Systems and Technology
- Work closely with Investment Management System (IMS)/Operations to ensure controlled delivery of risk results and projects through the whole system.
- Provide quality control on risk input and output data.
- Work closely with front office to ensure new or complex instruments can be captured correctly in risk management system.
- Develop deep understanding of USS technology in order to identify system impacts from new initiatives.
Managing Processes & Future Focus
- Cooperate closely with other team members in PAIR and other teams (Investment Strategy Advisory/Investment Product Management/IMS) to identify potential process improvements.
- Automate and redesign processes to achieve efficient risk reporting, attribution and analysis.
- Build relationships with Front Office, Investment Management System, Operations, and the wider organisation to enable the team to work more effectively.
- Experience 1+ years in asset management or finance preferred, with practical experience in technology.
- Knowledge of investment risk at least on market risk.
- Degree in a STEM related subject (ideally with a finance/risk management master) or Quantitative Finance.
- Knowledge of at least one programming language
- Python/SQL/VBA preferred
- Knowledge of other languages considered
- Comfortable working with data and conducting analyses.
- Able to solve problems independently.
- Knowledge of multi-asset classes.
- Understanding of financial markets and instruments gained through courses or experience.
- Understanding of risk and performance measurement for an asset manager or pension fund.
- Experience of using standard risk systems. Ideally MSCI Risk Manager or Barra One.
- Strong knowledge of Excel.
- Experience in presenting reports, results, etc.