Java Big Data Developer
Vanguard is one of the world's largest investment management companies, with around 380 low-cost traditional funds and ETFs, operating in 19 locations worldwide with about 16,600 crew members.
This posting is for a Java Big Data Developer to join the fast growing European Development team. Vanguard is currently rapidly expanding its European technology presence, and this role will work on leading technologies including Java 8, Amazon Web Services (including AWS Analytics), Hive (version 2.3.4), EMR Clusters, Atlassian toolsets (Bamboo, BitBucket), Python 3.x, Cucumber automated testing and Tableau. The team is Agile based and operates leveraging a continuous delivery pipeline. Current projects include injesting Equites and Fixed Income trade reports and providing MI capabilities via Presto Plugins and Tableau. Developers with strong analytical skills and a background in data and/or investment management can expect to have a visible role implementing changes to complex processes that are at the center of Vanguard's technology strategy. Candidates should be interested in a fast paced group that builds and enhances global applications. Key Responsibilities:
- Be part of a business facing development team to deliver new solutions to the business
- Support business case development by helping to size implementation effort and cost
- Build expertise around best-practice solution design and implementation
- Comply with defined code and documentation standards, including peer reviews
- Understand / review functional specifications and translate into program specifications
- Translate business requirements into program specifications and write code from the functional description
- Liaise with end users for user acceptance testing
- Carry out occasional 3rd Line support on production issues
- Report on progress to project manager, escalating issues promptly
- Comply with any audit requirements
- Co-ordinate with 3rd party providers as required
- Self-organise, with the ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and with competing business demands and priorities
- Focus on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process
- Champion a quality ethos within the constraints of the business priorities and pressures.
- Understanding of workflow based logic, and the ability to both understand a business process from a workflow diagram, and to conceptualise it as an automated solution
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with both business managers, traders and developers
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly and excellent problem solving skills
- Provides IT developer services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms
- Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, and external interfaces
- Assists in development, design, implementation, and architecture design specification
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Conducts automated testing of code, including functionality, technical limitations, and security
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff with less experience.
- Leads and participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout product life cycle to contribute technical expertise and to identify issues.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures. Verifies team's deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Hands on experience in Java 8 or above, and experience in Spring Framework v4+
- Experience in building and deploying applications on AWS
- Experience working with Big Data technologies, including Hive/Hadoop
- Python and Shell Scripting development skills
- AWS analytics experience using EMR clusters
- Understanding of Design Patterns and testing methodologies
- An understanding of Asset Management, although backgrounds in other industries will be considered
- Experience in an Agile processes and the full dev ops lifecycle including CI/CD pipelines
- Any of the below technologies will be seen as an advantage:
- RPA technologies (e.g. UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism)
- Tableau and data analytics using AWS services
- Micro Services Architecture specifically within the context of AWS
- No SQL database technology experience
- Maven, GIT, Junit, Cucumber
- Atlassian toolset,(Jira, Bamboo, BitBucket,)
- Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
- Oncall and remote support off hours: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, other meetings, and training.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Inclusion at Vanguard
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.