Lead Data Engineer
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Principal Developer with the experience and desire to help design and deliver the Distribution analytics solutions.
We want a knowledgeable developer who is both creative and analytical, an individual who is able to understand and articulate business challenges and /or ideas, explore them and implement the functionality safely into the production environment.
You'll be busy, working closely with the business teams from data scientists and analytics professionals to Sales and Client Servicing. Distribution analytics is a changing landscape at Schroders with an emphasis on innovation. About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The base
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role. The team
Distribution Technology creates and supports the applications used by our Sales and Client Servicing teams. Our technology footprint includes applications and systems, split between vendor and in-house developed, all designed with the common objective of being digitally and data driven. Not only do we rapidly respond to the demands of the external environment and those of our Sales and Client Service teams, the Distribution Technology team is strategically positioned to deliver innovative solutions.
We also recognise that successfully balancing personal and professional commitments brings out the best in our teams and therefore all roles in Global Technology are reviewed for suitability for flexible working arrangements, with this specific opportunity available to applicants from 3 to 5 days per week. We passionately believe that individual performance is enhanced by embracing the whole individual and structuring a working environment that supports them. What you'll do
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- Responsible for leading development and build tasks which contribute to the delivery of working software required by the Product Owner and Distribution Analytics Business Teams
- Responsible for the capture and analyse of analytics technology requirements which can be quickly delivered using the Agile delivery processes and tooling
- Explore ways to improve technology processes to progress the Distribution Analytics function
- Discover and playback innovative functionality and potential new ways to realise additional business benefits
- You will contribute to peer code reviews and the preparation of releases for the entire Agile Team
- You will work closely with the Systems Architect to ensure that standards are adhered to and any necessary architectural or technical debt is recorded with a realistic plan to remediate
- Engage actively in Agile planning including story refinement, demos and retrospectives
- Continually look for ways to improve your own skills and experience
- Support other team members to improve their own software development skills
- Assist us with the role of Scrum Master if required to do so
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Experience of SQL Server; data modelling, warehousing and SSIS
- Knowledge and experience of data visualisation tooling, preferably Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop
- Understands the principles and best practices of data modelling, interface design, code development, and testing, and you can apply these principles in real-world dev environments.
- Extensive knowledge of GIT and DevOps
- An ability to design and implement sharing models using declarative and programmatic methods.
- Experience in Cloud based tools, ideally Azure or AWS
- Knowledge in unit testing framework (NUnit, Jest, Enzyme, Jasmine, Karma) and mocking frameworks.
- Experience with automated build and deployment tools (VSTS, Octopus Deploy or other)
- Knowledge and experience of contributing to the development of technology solutions, both in house developed bespoke applications and commercially available off the shelf solutions, especially for analytical work.
What you'll be like
- Familiarity with Agile delivery methodologies, (SAFe is preferred)
- Knowledge of messaging systems like Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Knowledge of NoSQL data stores like Cassandra, Redis, couchDB
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Flexible, highly curious and willing to learn
- A critical thinker who's able to look at things from different angles
- Great at unpicking a problem, from start to end, own and deliver the solution
- Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once, and with tight deadlines
- Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating decisions
- Keen to improve what we do for our clients and how we do it
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.