Manager, Operational Deal Services
Job Description Summary: Job Description:
We believe we're best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Our Operational Deal Services team advises clients on the operational aspects of deals and on how to maximise their value. We also specialise in supporting clients with the design and implementation of organisation-wide change programmes that create a sustainable legacy well after the deal is done. We pride ourselves not just in providing insights during the pre-deal phase but in becoming a transformation partner and critical friend for our clients during the deal and beyond; helping them to solve complex problems effectively. As part of the wider Business Consulting team within Grant Thornton, we work with a high calibre team of subject matter experts in IT, HR, Finance and Business Operations as with the other Grant Thornton Deals Advisory teams working across the deal life cycle. Our work is mainly UK-based but often has an international dimension where clients have, or are looking to acquire, operations abroad. We work closely with other Grant Thornton International member firms in delivering international work and our team is one of several Operational Deals capability centres of excellence globally.
Technology is always a key part of every transaction and to support our growth, we need to expand this capability within our team.
What you'll be doing As a Manager in our team, focusing on Technology but with a broader skillset covering more general deal project delivery and other functional areas, you will normally work as part of a project team. This will often involve leading one or more Assistant Managers or Associates and working closely alongside colleagues from other Deals Advisory service lines such as Transaction Advisory Services, Corporate Finance Advisory and Transactions Tax.
A Manager will be responsible for leading smaller projects with some oversight from an Associate Director, Director or Partner and will work directly with client management, other advisors and investors, whilst taking responsibility for risk management, budgets and billing.
The role requires a combination of strong analytical skills, excellent knowledge of business IT systems, infrastructure and IT support operating models and well rounded inter-personal skills. The role has flexibility to be based at any of our offices in London, the Midlands, the North of England or the South of England but requires flexibility to travel throughout the UK, with the potential to travel overseas, depending on client requirements. From time to time a Manager may also be required to support other projects in Business Consulting which are not related to deals and be prepared to work on multiple engagements at the same time. As a result, the role requires strong consulting skills and an ability to adapt to different kinds of work beyond the core Deals and Technology skillset. Let's talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you'll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this Manager Operations Deal Services role. Making quality second nature.
This means doing what's right even when no one's looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do. Own your own work.
Be a part of a team.
- End-to-end ownership of workstreams on larger engagements, working closely with the engagement lead on such engagements and being the lead for smaller client engagements
- Applying existing consulting-based approaches to identify solutions and build recommendations into structured, manageable implementation workstreams
- Helping to further develop and grow our team's expertise, ensuring that we continuously learn from the issues which we encounter on client engagements and benefit from further adapting our approaches for future use
Build your brand.
- Supporting with business development activities, including identification of leads through analysis and your sector knowledge, and preparation of discussion and proposal documents, including liaising with members of other service lines across Grant Thornton
The minimum criteria
- Playing a leading role in determining how to effectively communicate concepts, analysis and outcomes to the client and your team
- Imparting knowledge and insight to your team, while taking responsibility for your own career development
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- A formal Project/Programme Management or Accountancy/Finance qualification would be an advantage but is not essential
- Foreign language skills are desirable but are not essential
- Deep knowledge, focused on information technology but with broader experience too, of one or more of the core Operational Deal Services offerings: buy-side/vendor due diligence; integration; separation/carve-out; day one planning; post deal change programmes
- Demonstrated experience of managing small teams
- Prior consulting (in-house or advisory) experience, IT functional management or significant project work experience
- Extensive experience of preparing high quality written reports, Excel analysis and presentations
Skills to set you apart
- You have a genuine interest in Technology and in M&A
- You are commercially focused with the ability to deliver innovative solutions
- You are focused on self-development as well as having the desire to coach, mentor and develop your colleagues
- You must also share our CLEARR values - Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don't worry if you don't tick every box. It's important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
Do you care about the same things we do?
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Understand and have the ability to discuss one or more of the core Operational Deal Services offerings in detail
- Project management and/or change management and/or transformation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we'll want you to show us how they're important to you, too. Collaboration:
We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out. Leadership
: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects. Excellence:
Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky. Agility:
The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible - changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done. Respect:
A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care. Responsibility
: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people's lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what's right. Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we're also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too. Bring your whole self
Now you've seen our values, it shouldn't be a surprise that we're creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
"We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone - regardless of background or gender." Dave Dunckley, CEO There's more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes...the things you do and the people you're with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you'd like to work flexibly, let us know. We're happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we'll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.
Life at Grant Thornton