.NET Technical Lead
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs - our financial wellbeing and our planet's future - are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that's in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com Job Description Responsibilities
- Building multiple cloud based fintech and operational systems
- 50% hands on development, mainly troubleshooting and coding more challenging and complex requirements
- Working closely with the solutions architect to ensure technical design adhere to the approved architectural direction of the company
- Contributing to, and enforcing development standards and coding standards
- Ensuring an appropriate level of coverage of unit tests and automated tests
- Reviewing code prior to check-in.
- Ensuring our code and systems are secure and adhere to InfoSec guidelines.
- Creating technical designs for new components\\features
- Collaborating with the team lead on solutions design, estimating effort, and scoping development activities.
- Mentoring junior developers
- Maintaining an appropriate level of automation in our SDLC
We have significant tech diversity within our teams and encourage the use of new technology that delivers business value. For this specific role the current tech stack includes but is not limited to:
- Azure DevOps
- Angular 6\\React
- MySQL\\MS Azure SQL\\ MS SQL Server 2008 R2 upwards
- .Net\\.Net Core
- CSS frameworks
- You have strong knowledge in .Net framework and .Net Core
- You have strong knowledge in design patterns and know when and how to apply it
- You have an understanding on multithreading and parallel processing
- You have been building microservices, and know the challenges of API led development
- You have been working in a DevOps focussed environment and appreciated the value of automation.
- You have experience of working with cloud platforms - specifically Azure
- Excellent knowledge of RESTful API standards, scalability, and job queuing
- You have an understanding of the tools that can be used to keep our systems secure (automated pen tests, static code analysis etc.)
- You have experience in mentoring junior developers
- You will have a strong understanding and appreciation of SOLID and OOP principles
- You know how to design relational databases, and have a strong knowledge of MS Azure SQL and SQL Server 2008 R2 upwards
- You will have been working in an agile team and appreciate the benefits of that development methodology
- You know when technical documentation is and is not required and are able to communicate your designs using the appropriate mediums (Sequence diagrams etc.)
- You will have configured CI/CD pipelines in Azure DevOps
- You will have worked in financial services and will have a good understanding of financial back office systems
- You have worked with other CI\\CD tools (Jenkins, Travis), and have knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.