Principal Front-end React Developer
Who we're looking for
We're looking for a passionate Front-End React engineer, preferably with an Asset Management/Financial Services based background, to work within Schroders Front Office Asset Management Technology team.
We're after a Front-End React engineer who is motivated to combine the art of design with the art of programming, taking an active role defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
Technology at Schroders
There's a huge amount of change going on at Schroders. Technology's shaping our business more and more, so there are many opportunities waiting to be grabbed. And because we're a big financial player, we can put hefty backing behind good ideas.
We're a serious business - we have enormous responsibilities to our clients and shareholders. But just because we're suited and booted, that doesn't make us stuffy; our tech teams are friendlier and more informal than you might expect.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018, located close to our clients in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role as well as a modern working environment with onsite health and wellbeing amenities.
The Global Front Office Technology function supports a number of Front Office businesses in building out and maintaining an innovative set of tools in support of Alpha generation. These include solutions for complex modelling, investment strategy, investment risk, quantitative and systematic investments, data driven investment processes and some innovative aspects of trading. The team works very closely with the front office teams and often co-create the Technology platforms with an emphasis on a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds and levels of scale. Our primary goal is to deliver value through Technology domain expertise and robust solutions to our customers.
What you'll do
• Build highly responsive UI components using React and Redux.
• Produce high quality testable software.
• Longer term aim of cross training our developers in these technologies.
• Be part of a business facing team with a high visibility.
• Deliver a first-class technology platform to support investment decision making and quantitative research.
• Refine the existing investment and research platform in response to business needs.
• Coach and develop more junior team members, ensuring that best practices and methodologies are followed.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Expertise in building front-end Single Page Applications with React and Redux.
• Experience and good knowledge of common React libraries (Redux, react router etc).
• Good knowledge and handling of common React patterns (HOC, render props, Provider pattern, Container / Presentational components etc).
• Knowledge of RESTful API's.
• Knowledge of common React principles (immutability, pure functions, functional / class components, pure components, change detection, composition etc).
• General knowledge of common challenges in front-end development (eg: browser behaviour and limitations, front-end application optimisations, etc).
• Advocate of general engineering best practices (eg: domain driven code architecture, encapsulation, separation of concerns, single responsibility, clean code practices etc).
• Knowledge of common design patterns (eg: pubsub, module pattern, dependency injection etc).
• Awareness of common front-end styling paradigms (eg: css modules, css in js).
• Knowledge of general front-end tooling (particularly Nodejs and npm).
• Experience with structuring and writing unit tests.
• Experience with setting up and writing end to end tests.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Experience and interest in RxJS.
• Experience with Cypress.
• Experience with material ui.
• Familiarity with react hooks.
What you'll be like
• Passionate about technology and how it evolves.
• A problem solver with a business facing personality.
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once.
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating ideas.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.