Risk Analyst - M/F - VIE - London - Corporate and Investment Banking London - Great Britain
Description of the Business Line or Department
• The role of RISQ/RMA/HPC is to provide risk control services for hedge fund counterparties and investments. In particular, it performs risk assessment, mitigation, approval, and monitoring processes for the core Business Units at SG Group that transact with, clear for or invest in hedge funds, or take collateral consisting of hedge fund shares. The risk types that are within HPC's remit are credit, liquidity impairment and reputation risk resulting in credit losses.
• Whilst RISQ/RMA/HPC is a service provider, its client is SG and by extension SG's shareholders. As such, (like all departments within the RISQ Division) it adheres to the philosophy of complete independence from commercial activities. It is a control function, not a support function to the business.
• The role is within the Hedge Funds, Prime and CCPs team (HPC) that is part of the Risks on Market Activities & ALM Department (RMA). The team works on requests from our main Business Unit MARK and support both Business Lines EQD and FIC, including derivatives transactions (OTC and Listed), prime services and structured products & solutions in their daily activities with hedge funds Summary of the key purposes of the role
• The key purpose of the role is to provide support to HPC analysts in performing the team's core missions, including risk assessment, monitoring and risk mitigation processes for all business lines that transact with, invest in or take HF shares as collateral.
• The VIE will participate to the daily monitoring of exposure and may be asked to participate to different initiatives that are run to enhance our risk analysis and monitoring processes (i.e. early warning indicators, bespoke reporting etc).
• The VIE will assist analysts in their risk assessment of hedge funds counterparties (due diligence report, limit and rating proposal).
• The analyst will provide support for first portfolio analysis on risk taken by our counterparties (incl. NCVAR, GCVAR, Concentration Risk and other Stress Tests). Summary of responsibilities
• The VIE will be trained on proprietary systems to perform cursory analysis of hedge funds and to monitor and generate reports on hedge fund performance, exposure and asset evolution against limits in place.
• The VIE will assist analysts in their daily monitoring of exposure, to ensure that any breach of limit is identified, addressed, commented and/or acted on.
• The VIE will be asked to assist in monitoring exposure, building macro to highlight main exposure on all metrics followed by HPC. This could involve looking at the implementation of quantitative and statistical studies to experiment improved methodologies for monitoring exposures, or assessing risk taken.
• This role also involves participation to ad-hoc projects that will strive to increase efficiency, for example by working closely with Bangalore on NAV collection and monitoring inputs and providing support in the drafting of due diligence report and assessment.
• The VIE will also participate to new initiatives run by the team, around Early Warning Indicators, Continuous monitoring etc.
• Other responsibilities will be related to reviewing departmental processes and activities, participating to the review of policies and procedures for example, assisting in the production of dashboard for the UK, and other specific reporting for the various SG entities.
• From time to time, the analyst may participate to due diligence meeting to see how we gather and assess information about a fund manager and their strategy; he/she will review relevant documentation, perform background checks, arrange due diligence meetings to gain exposure to a vast amount of information on HF strategies, risk analysis and financial products.
• The analyst may be involved in producing our targeted light review process for files with a global risk exposure below a materiality threshold that RISQ/RMA/HPC will define.
• The analyst may be trained to completing rating models to propose ratings using our approved rating models on certain counterparties.
All our positions are open to people with disabilities Profile
Graduate with a Master degree from Business/Engineering school or University, majoring in Finance.
A previous experience in Investment Banking would be appreciated.
You are fluent in English. French and any other language is a plus.
You are proficient in Office application. VBA is a plus. Competencies
• Practical skills as the job calls for adaptation of procedure to a changing environment
• Good analytical/statistical skills
• Preferably some knowledge of hedge fund industry
• Self-starter able to meet deadlines and work independently
• Good communication skills
• Be comfortable meeting with and interacting with internal stakeholders in person
• Cooperation and team spirit
• Bloomberg desirable The VIE assignment in a nutshell
This VIE in London is to begin as soon as possible but you need to plan 3 months between your application date and the beginning of your VIE assignment. It will last 12 months.
The VIE is a specific contract, under Business France's eligibility criteria, opened to candidates under 28 and from the member states of the European Economic Space. For further information, please see www.civiweb.com . Evolution
To facilitate the examination of your application by our English-speaking managers, we thank you for applying in English.
At Société Générale, you will be joining the Risk department. Its job is to contribute to the development of Société Générale's business and profitability by defining the Group's appetite for risk, in liaison with the Finance department and the core businesses. The Risk department is also responsible for implementing the system used to control and monitor risks.
Job code: 19000I35
Business unit: SG CIB
Starting date: 01/09/2019
Date of publication: 01/07/2019