SRE - Managed Systems Engineering
An SRE at Bloomberg is a hybrid of a systems and a software engineer who is trusted to improve the stability and availability of the production environment through automation. We're responsible for monitoring, provisioning, configuration management, orchestration, capacity planning, deployment and rollback, incident management, and systems development life cycle practices. Our Team:
The Managed Systems Engineering (MSE) group is responsible for provisioning, configuring, and maintaining the majority of Bloomberg's production fleet throughout its lifecycle, and the group uses an infrastructure-as-code approach in conjunction with open-source tools to ensure a scalable and reliable environment in which to operate. In addition to these responsibilities, the MSE Delivery team manages one of our core products, the Bloomberg Appliance, which provides real-time distribution and caching of market data from Bloomberg or internal sources, while offloading all non real-time functionality to Bloomberg data centers. This product presents some interesting challenges in managing large numbers of systems distributed around the globe in mixed networks while configuring them at scale using industry standard technologies like Chef and Salt.
In MSE, you will interact with a wide array of people and technologies, and you will be positioned to find ways to build better infrastructure through code while gaining exposure to nearly all of Bloomberg's foundational infrastructure. What's in it for you:
You'll be part of a team that operates at scale; we need to effectively operate across tens of thousands of nodes, pushing the platform forward while negotiating edge cases and engineering for safety. As part of the team, you will have the opportunity to work alongside engineers with the same automation goals in mind and be exposed to many open-source solutions and tools. Contributing back to the open-source community is something Bloomberg engineers pride themselves on; it is a rewarding experience you can explore with us. We have unique and interesting challenges to solve: you will be asked to help build a pathway toward increasingly virtualized and containerized infrastructure, create tools to automate systems management within some of our most mission-critical application space, and provide creative solutions for scaling out an extremely heterogeneous environment. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Focus on automation for operational tasks and software deployment via configuration management and orchestration frameworks
- Enhance Bloomberg's infrastructure monitoring and alerting solutions
- Contribute to our CI/CD frameworks and pipelines
- Troubleshoot and debug issues across multiple platforms (Linux/Unix and Windows)
- Be self-organizing and able to deliver on our defined service attributes
- Work on documentation to support team efforts and educate peers
We would love to see:
- Demonstrated experience programming in Python/Ruby or a similar language
- Eagerness to work with a group, share knowledge, and contribute to team goals
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, or a related technology field
If this sounds like you, apply!
- An understanding of configuration management, CI/CD, API design and implementation, orchestration frameworks, and infrastructure monitoring
- Familiarity with one or more of the following technologies is preferred: Chef, SaltStack, Icinga or Nagios/NRPE, Jenkins, Ansible, PowerShell, package repository management software such as Pulp or Aptly
- Experience with Ruby on Rails is useful but not required
- Kernel knowledge (tuning and ability to read source) is a major bonus
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.