Senior Commercial Asset Manager - Solar
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs - our financial wellbeing and our planet's future - are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that's in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com Job Description Octopus Renewables
Octopus Renewables sources, invests in, and actively manages a wide range of utility scale energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe, and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage a global portfolio of over £3bn renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 300 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa. The operational activities include solar power parks, wind farms and gas fired peaking generators.
Our energy investment and asset management team of c.70 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured to support our rapid growth ambitions and long-term ownership of energy assets. About the role
We are looking for an experienced Senior Commercial Asset Manager (Solar) to work within the asset management team, with a focus on counterparty management of outsourced service providers (including Asset Managers, O&M providers, EPCs and technical advisers). This individual will be responsible for the development of the contractual and commercial strategy for our ecosystem of third party contractors, leading on the implementation of new contracts, and resolution of escalated commercial issues.
Reporting to and working closely with the Solar Asset Director he/she will advise and be accountable for the commercial and contractual frameworks which cover the lifecycle of the asset base from pre-acquisition, through to construction and operation of the solar assets. This individual will take pride in improving the performance of the assets through collaborative and effective relationships with competent third parties. The role will be London based and will require some travel to sites within the UK and Europe. Whilst we are looking for a permanent appointment, we will consider fixed term contract. Please advise in your covering note whether you are looking for a permanent or fixed term contract. Outline of responsibilities
- Ownership and development of Octopus Renewables contracting strategy, processes and standards for contract development and management across the lifecycle Asset Management.
- Development, oversight and management of the Solar counterparty risk register.
- Identify and prioritise counterparty risks/opportunities and manage programme to mitigate/realise same.
- Work closely with the Investment team to assess new contractual arrangements being considered for acquisition, including reviewing contract structure draft contracts, schedules, heads of terms and SLAs.
- Articulate and embed a culture of effective and collaborative counterparty management throughout the in-house asset management team and those contractors with responsibility for managing counterparties on our behalf.
- Support Commercial Asset Managers to develop their contract management capability and ensure escalated incidents are minimized and handled effectively.
- Work closely with in-house and outsourced legal, commercial and technical teams on the counterparty risk programme and escalated incidents.
- Support senior managers on projects/incidents/initiatives across all technology types as required.
- Advise the Commercial Asset Managers on the contractual aspects of commercial/project issues and negotiations.
- Investigate the root causes of any contractual underperformances and/or issues affecting the contracts associate with new assets and advise on resolutions.
- Input to the scoping of new operational contracts to be executed, such as O&M or asset management.
- Prepare regular progress and management reports relating to the counterparty risk management programme.
- Oversee the development of process to ensure compliance with grid, planning and other obligations.
- Work closely with the commercial team on any due diligence prepared for transactions such as bank financing or sale of the assets and in the preparation and negotiation of the EPC, AM and O&M Contracts.
- Develop modular templates that can be used as standards (ex. commercial DD SoW, schedules of services).
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Extensive experience of solar / general energy contract development and counterparty management, including a good knowledge of the UK and European solar industry.
- Expertise in the development and management of contractual frameworks, contract negotiation and drafting.
- Degree or professional qualification preferably in relevant engineering or legal discipline.
- Background in relevant professional discipline is preferable: commercial project management; quantity surveyor; commercial law.
- Previous experience in management of EPC/O&M and other contractors for solar projects as well as contract management, (including the management of Health & Safety and commercial claims management for on-going operations).
- Expertise in contracts, commercials, relationship management, invoicing and payment authorization.
- Working knowledge of technical, operational, and commercial aspects and documentation related to distributed generation, preferably solar.
- Knowledge of HS&E and CDM associated with solar operations.
- Experience of dispute management and resolution.
- Experience managing contract escalations (for example step-in/thru, liquidate damages, notice of defect and breach).
- Claims management.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communicator at all levels, particularly when translating technical information for non-technical teams.
- Flexibility and "can do" attitude.
- Willingness to train and support others.
- Able to critically examine and question information from a variety of sources.
- High commercial and numerical acumen.
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.