To serve as a senior analyst on the Investment Stewardship team for the UK and one of the Investment Stewardship groups' sector-oriented teams. The Investment Stewardship group manages day-to-day company engagement, research, and proxy voting for the equity holdings in our client's global fund line up.
As a part of our fiduciary duty to fund shareholders, our client's voice on investment stewardship matters is used to maximize the long-term value of our funds’ investments by holding companies to the highest governance standards and advocating for board-level policies and practices that we believe will enhance value for our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops proxy voting recommendations for the client's equity holdings. Evaluates highly complex voting proposals against the client's proxy voting guidelines using a variety of sources including third-party research, company engagement and disclosures, and conversations with active equity managers (e.g. Wellington, PRIMECAP).
- Independently prepares for and leads direct engagement conversations with funds’ portfolio companies. These conversations are typically with senior company officials (often C-level executives or directors) and entail providing direct feedback on governance changes that the client expects.
- Manages complex, group-wide projects to enhance the monitoring of governance best practices, including ESG (environmental, social, and governance) risks, and drive efficiency. Serves as a subject matter expert and ensures that goals are met within established time frames.
- Presents complex ideas clearly in verbal or written form. Develops and presents analyses, findings, and conclusions to senior management (including Senior Staff) and clients (e.g., presentations, memos, etc.).
- Develops and maintains expertise in the fields of corporate governance, proxy voting, and company engagement, as well as the various sectors covered by the analyst’s team. Creates a working knowledge of relevant markets and governance norms.
- Partners with crew members across the global organization to ensure that project objectives are met. These areas include but not are limited to: Investment Management Group, Legal, International, Portfolio Review, and IT.
- Mentors and coaches other crew members.
- Contributes research and other insightful content in support of the client’s global Investment Stewardship communication efforts with clients, shareholders, regulators, and the media.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree; pursuit of MBA or CFA (or other advanced education/certification) preferred.
- Minimum of five years business experience, investment management and/or analysis experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of investments and interest in corporate governance.
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills.
- Strong quantitative/analytical skills and strategic vision.