Senior Java Software Engineer (AWS)
We are looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our London based team. This opportunity comes with the ability to help shape and define brand and technology roadmaps and really make an impression, delight our customers and modernize the tech stack.
- Work within an agile delivery team to achieve customer excellence and drive platform innovation as a vehicle for product and platform efficiency
- Be responsible for the proposal and delivery of technical solutions and act as a technical authority on specified projects
- Play a key role in designing the technical architecture that meets the demands of the business
- Work as part of a multi discipline team of DevOps engineers developing and maintaining the EFC product
- Work closely with technology director and senior engineers to ensure that an optimal technical architecture is in place in order to support the product roadmap
- Ability to renew the tech stack using modern tooling and design patterns and conventions to speed up development output, reduce tech debt, and mentor less experienced members of the team while onboarding the changes.
- Adopting a TDD approach in everything everywhere – be an advocate, mentor and knowledge hub for all things TDD
- Familiarity with modern containerization and deployment technologies such as docker, CI and CD pipeline
- Help tech lead in aligning product and tech through the savvy selection of tooling, integration and software
- Recommend system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and 3rd party alternatives.
- Relaunch external APIs, and establish how to onboard existing customers without outage, using RESTful micro services and API gateway tooling
- Promoting graceful degradation, eventual consistency and fast failure as basic tenets of software design.
- Be accountable for the consistency and coverage of technical documentation and unit testing
- Keep abreast of the latest trends, you will continually seek to improve your knowledge of the software development process and the best tools to support it, implementing best practice amongst the team
- Recommend implementation and integration of new technologies within the development process, making sure that industry standards and best practices are applied from the onset.
- Be an advocate for technical innovation and process improvement, increasing the velocity of the team and their interest in what they do.
- Be fully engaged in software development cycle by coordinating requirements, schedules, and activities; contributing to team meetings; troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Work closely with other members of engineering teams, such extended software development, team quality assurance, project management.
- Provide members of the extended team with regular software development process coaching and technical mentoring and provide both technical guidance and project governance.
- Provide on-call support as and when needed
The successful candidate will be an excellent team player and have relevant skills, including:
- Computer science degree or equivalent experience
- RESTful design
- Springboot and micro service design and orchestration, full spring stack experience
- Event driven architectures and approaches
- AWS and cloud delivery experience
- Some ansible and automation scripting and orchestration in general
- Jenkins and ideally other CI/CD servers and platforms
- Search engine experience, especially SOLR and Lucene
- Ability to refactoring legacy code where required and using TDD as a discipline
- Experience of working with mixed on-shore and off-shore teams
- Demonstrable expertise in problem solving and technical innovation at design, coding, tooling and strategic level, capable of rolling-up sleeves and getting hands dirty
- Proven track record in designing major software components for web applications
- Solid experience working in Linux JAVA stack and relational databases
- Strong practical experience of messaging systems
- Understanding of Scrum and agile software development process
Benefits and Working Environment:
In addition to a competitive salary, annual bonus and salary reviews, we offer:
- Group Pension scheme
- Group Life insurance
- Private health coverage and half price gym memberships/gym membership contribution
- 25 days of annual leave per year; summer hours
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Cycle to Work Scheme and on site shower facilities
- A great office (complete with games, ping pong and weekly social and wellness events) in the heart of Shoreditch