Senior Linux Systems Administrator
Senior Linux Systems Administrator, R12321 - London, Ropemaker Place Summary
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operations and maintenance of Linux Systems. This person ensures these systems adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, Partners and customers. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. As a senior member you will also be required to determine root cause information and train more junior resources in troubleshooting skills. We provide support on hardware for Servers with mix environment (HP, Oracle, DELL, Solaris) and models with different virtualization technologies from VMware to Solaris Zones.
You will also be asked to provide support/evidence for Audit (SOX, ITIL, SOC2, ISO) preparation. OnCall rotation and after hours/weekend work may be required. Engineering and Provisioning - 5%
Operations and Support - 60%
- Install new and rebuild existing servers, configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Research and recommend innovative and possible automated approaches.
- Identify approaches that leverage resources and provide economies of scale
Maintenance - 35%
- Perform daily system monitoring. Verify integrity and availability of hardware, server resources and systems. Review system and application logs. Verify completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media and sent off site.
- Perform regular file archival and purge.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts.
- Provide Tier III and other support per request and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures, coordinating and communicating with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades regularly. Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Upgrade and configure system software.
- Maintain operational, configuration, and other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data centre environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Bachelor's degree with a technical major, such as Engineering, Computer Science or relevant practical experience.
- Must have 6+ years of Linux system administration experience.
- Advanced expertise in Linux operating systems, specifically experience with RedHat Enterprise and Solaris
- Advanced knowledge of configuration management tools; specifically, puppet
- Advanced knowledge of Red Hat satellite server
- Advanced troubleshooting skills including network, middleware such as Apache, JBoss, Tomcat and Java, and OS/Hardware
- Manage services like FTP, Samba, NFS
- Advanced scripting expertise in languages such as bash, Perl, ruby and/or python
- Advanced filesystem knowledge such as LVM and Disk Partitions and installation of RPMs, Kick start management
- Solid understanding of Software installs or updates that require root access or GUI redirects
- System Monitoring, Securing Network, Securing Services and Securing Data on Linux OS
- Knowledge of Visio, MS Project, PowerBI and standard office type applications
- Excellent verbal and written communications kills
- Knowledge of DEVOPS operations models is ideal but not required.
- Essential - Understanding of enterprise architecture including networking, load balancing, LDAP, DNS, NTP, AD integration.
- Essential - Understanding of continuous integration environments and the related toolsets
- Desirable - Previous experience of source code repositories and code review systems (git, svn, gerrit).
- Desirable - Experience of working in an OpenShift and/or AWS based deployment model
- Advantageous - Knowledge of UCS x86 hardware and previous experience working in a VMware based virtualized environment.
- Advantageous - Experience of RHEL7, Atomic (or other container tuned OS tech).
- Advantageous - experience or exposure to Red Hat Gluster storage solutions
- Exposure VMware and virtual infrastructure a plus
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace. In addition, in the United States, we perform pre-employment drug testing and are required as a federal contractor to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.