Server Support Engineer, IT Operations Infrastructure Support
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description
The mission of the IT team is to provide innovative and reliable technology solutions to help the business and their clients work smarter and more efficiently. The IT team has grown significantly over the last year in terms of numbers of people, systems supported and projects to deliver. Technology is seen as the enabler to helping the company further differentiate itself on customer service as well as allowing it to grow rapidly without constraining the business. ABOUT YOU: We'll love you if:
You'll love us if you enjoy:
- You enjoy supporting and implementing new solutions
- You create documentation because you enjoy it!
- You were the kind of kid who took things apart just to put them back together (correctly)
- You relish the opportunity to implement improvements
- You're passionate about technology delivery
- You have a strong background in infrastructure support
- HOW is just as important as WHAT you do
- You are a confident communicator, enjoy working in a friendly, collaborative, fast-paced team and are comfortable talking to people at all levels of the business
- Solving problems - things happen and you're there to fix them
- Providing a 'new technology lifecycle' support experience
- Being one of the go-to people for specialist technical knowledge
- Passion for infrastructure and a commitment to exceeding expectations
- Imparting knowledge to the team
- Working in a collaborative environment, as part of a growing team
- Daily maintenance and support of production infrastructure and solutions
- Constant evaluation of production infrastructure and solutions to ensure 'fit for purpose'
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously while adapting to agile business requirements
- Collaborating with relevant IT service owners to improve support, delivery & communication
- Acting as an escalation point for Desktop Support team members
- Providing ad-hoc specialist support for small projects/access/information requests
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout the Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe
- We love entrepreneurs
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 19 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
- Flexible working hours
- Exceptionally diverse/multinational team
- Salary (tell us what you are worth) + benefits
- Relaxed, creative environment
- Stunning office
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Server Infrastructure Support experience in an Enterprise environment
- Strong knowledge of virtualization in VMWare
- Strong knowledge of virtualization in AWS and Azure
- Strong Windows Server/Client skills (Windows Server 2003 through to 2019)
- Strong Linux skills (Ubuntu/CentOS/RedHat)
- Good Active Directory/DHCP/DNS
- Good understanding of network protocols/ports/vlans
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Technical documentation creation experience
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.