Solutions Architect - Investment Management
To assist in the execution of the vision, strategic direction, and initiative roadmap for strategic, business technology projects. To help define the reference and implementation architectures for strategic, business technology projects. To persuade and influence Business and Information Technology (IT) leaders on the architectural direction for strategic, business technology projects.
This Solutions Architect position is multifaceted, having exposure to many different areas in IT. It requires the ability to analyze varying technologies and technical architecture patterns, and to balance appropriate tactical decisions with defining, advocating, and advancing the long term strategic direction. This position also includes partnering with Technology infrastructure Architects, Cross divisional Architects and Cloud Teams), working with and influencing various cross-divisional areas across the Enterprise. The successful candidate will also be responsible for providing oversight to program teams on Microservices and Cloud Data Architecture, and for developing personal knowledge and expertise of Security and Architecture in AWS.
This is an excellent opportunity to use advanced communication and superior conceptual thinking and relationship management skills to influence the strategic direction of the business lines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides the architectural leadership in shaping strategic, business technology projects, with an emphasis on application architecture. Utilizes domain knowledge and application portfolio knowledge to play a key role in defining the future state of large, business technology programs.
- Utilizes a broad and deep understanding of the competitive landscape and corporate and business unit strategies to provide context for architectural decision making.
- Within area of responsibility, continuously pursues strong knowledge of business technology solutions and maintains understanding of applicable technologies, tools, and services:
- Establishes working relationships with appropriate business technology solution providers (e.g., Aladdin, Charles River, Bloomberg, etc.).
- Leverages knowledge capital available through subscription research services that target business technology solutions (e.g., Forrester on Digital Business, Cutter on investment management, etc.).
- Leverages the Internet and trade periodicals that focus on the contemporary, competitive, business technology issues within the financial industry.
- Attends financial industry conferences and engages in associated activities (e.g., conducting presentations, leading workshops, etc.).
- Defines reference and implementation application architectures.
- Produces technology roadmaps in support of SI's application portfolio vision and strategy.
- Monitors application implementation activity to ensure architecture and design principles are upheld.
- Ensures application implementation solutions support the business objectives (asset gathering, cost optimization, client loyalty improvement), as appropriate.
- Participates in governance team discussions and provides a strong voice on critical decisions.
- Establishes relationships with senior IT and Business leaders for the purpose of advancing proposed application architecture solutions.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
• An undergraduate degree in a Computer Science-related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
• A minimum of eight to ten years broad senior technical experience.
• Public cloud expertise in AWS, with specific experience in VPC, Route53, CloudFront, CloudWatch, EC2, ECS, EKS, IAM, KMS, S3, EBS, RDS, ElastiCache, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Lambda, and API Gateway.
• Broad and deep knowledge across numerous IT infrastructures, platforms, tools, and technologies, both architecturally and operationally (e.g., microservices, Java, Spring, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Spinnaker, DevOps, and security).
• Experience migrating legacy applications to a service-oriented, cloud-optimized architecture within a large IT shop.
• The aptitude to conceptualize solutions to highly complicated technology opportunities and defend technical decisions, with facts and research.
• An enjoyment in deepening existing technical skills and learning new ones.
• The ability to participate actively in deep-dive technical discussions and design exercises to create world-class, public cloud-based architectures.
• The prowess to think strategically, execute tactically, and provide technical expertise to both technical and business partners.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively both internally and externally with business and technical audiences.
• AWS certifications.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success