Sustainable Investment Analyst
Who we're looking for
We're looking for a Sustainability Analyst to identify structural social and environmental trends, examine their effects on industries and businesses. You'll work with colleagues across investment desks, assets classes and regions to integrate that analysis into our investment processes. You'll conduct rigorous evaluation of poorly understood trends and seek as far as possible to quantify their impacts using a wide range of valuation techniques. You'll engage companies on those issues and explain our views, conclusions and actions to our clients and work with investors across our business to help support and drive change. You'll take responsibility for working closely with several of our investment teams, helping to facilitate a process of ongoing improvement with the integration of sustainability topics About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The base
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly. The team
As long term, fundamental investors, we are committed to strengthening our investment activities through integration of environmental, social and governance factors (ESG).
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues have rapidly become more important to us and our clients. Companies compete in a fast changing world in which their abilities to adapt to social and environmental change are becoming increasingly important to their profitability and values. We are committed to building the leading research and investment process that embeds understanding of these trends across the funds we manage.
The role sits in the Sustainability team which has expanded to 22 people, covering a wide range of activities from thematic research, company analysis, portfolio monitoring, screening, corporate governance actions, client communication and marketing and discussions with policy makers and other stakeholders. Our primary focus is working with analyst and fund manager colleagues to strengthen investment decisions through effective analysis and integration of ESG issues in investment processes. What you'll do
• Undertake sustainability research across sectors and sustainability themes. Establish and maintain an understanding of the material ESG trends and best practice on issues for those sectors and themes.
• Write, present and publish thematic research reports (around two per year, examining the impact of sustainability issues on investment decisions. These will be varied topics involving independent thought and research.
• Build relationships with analysts across regions and asset classes to enable an ongoing dialogue and integration of ESG factors into investment decisions.
• Ensure that our in house ESG rating tool is up to date with relevant thematic trends and data, in particular across the sectors for which you are responsible.
• Engage with companies - individually or through collaboration - on ESG issues across regions, taking ownership of corporate relationships and tracking the impact of this over time.
• Work with investment desks to ensure that ESG is effectively integrated in their processes and acting as a bridge between the sustainability and research teams.
• Be involved in external industry initiatives focused on sustainability.
• Present to clients and other external stakeholders on our work. The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Knowledge of, and interest in, sustainability issues and trends.
• Previous analytical experience (this may be from an investing or a consulting background).
• Understanding of financial theory, financial statements and modelling practice.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle data effectively.
• Evidence of independent thought.
• Collaborative approach to work. The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Depth of knowledge on one or more sustainability topics
• Direct experience of investment valuation models
• A passion for building new insights into the effects of global trends on company values What you'll be like
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic
• Flexible, highly curious and willing to learn
• A critical thinker who's able to look at things from different angles
• Great at unpicking a problem, from start to end, own and deliver the solution
• Able to work under pressure
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating decisions
• Keen to improve what we do for our clients and how we do it We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.