Job title: Model Risk Management COO / Business Manager
Corporate Title: Vice President
Department: Model Risk Management
Nomura is an Asia-based financial services group with an integrated global network spanning over 30 countries. By connecting markets East & West, Nomura services the needs of individuals, institutions, corporates and governments through its three business divisions: Retail, Asset Management, and Wholesale (Global Markets and Investment Banking). Founded in 1925, the firm is built on a tradition of disciplined entrepreneurship, serving clients with creative solutions and considered thought leadership. For further information about Nomura, visit www.nomura.com
The Model Risk Management function comprises Model Validation Teams and the Model Governance Team.
The Model Governance Team oversees technology supporting the function, development and distribution of risk and performance indicators, regulatory communications, cross-functional initiatives, development of policies and procedures, business management / COO responsibilities, and model risk reporting.
Model Validation Teams validate the integrity and comprehensiveness of Risk, Valuation, Algorithmic Trading, and Finance Models.
Reporting to the Head of Model Governance who is based in London, the role will support all aspects of the Model Risk operational process globally.
The role itself is diverse and will interact globally across all aspects of Model Risk. The successful applicant must be a constructive problem solver who is capable of interacting, influencing, and challenging at all levels whilst being detail oriented.
- Internal project delivery management and resource allocation planning for:
- Risk Model Validation projects (often regulatory commitments)
- Model Inventory Replacement project and subsequent enhancement phases (vendor engagement).
- Prepare analysis and presentations in support of strategic proposals and initiatives
- Write presentations for senior management, regulators and other third parties
- Understand Model Risk processes and controls and use this information to identify, assess, review and update the function's Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) register.
- Ensure operational risk events caused by the function are escalated and documented as required.
- Review and challenge operational risk events that impact the business to confirm resulting actions are appropriate and ensure delivery
- Support ongoing audit reviews
- Contribute to the development and review of team procedures
- Manage budget, expenses and approvals for the business
- Cover tasks related to systems provisioning, vendor management, security frameworks, and personnel
- Maintain Business Continuity Plans for the function
- Provide support for request from regional and global COO, CAO, and HQ functions
Skills, experience, qualifications and knowledge required:
- Prior experience in a COO / Business Management role
- Project management experience and ability to coordinate inputs and opinions from different sources
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Degree or equivalent education
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail, coupled with good written and oral communication skills
- Strong willingness to learn and be able to work both independently and in collaboration with others, as required
- Organised approach to work with an ability to present complex subjects in an accessible manner
- Adaptability to change and ability to build relationships and work with others through influence (rather than authority)
- Ability to interact confidently with senior management and maintain absolute confidence when required.